Thursday, May 14, 2009

Mineral Oil Cooled Computers-Review

Has any one heard of cooling your computer by submerging it in a liquid? Well I came across a video on You Tube that I must say was a pretty unbelievable site to see. The guys at Pugetsystems.com took an old computer and submerged all the parts in mineral oil, the computer ran strong as ever and the CPU temperature even dropped a bit. They then took a computer that had a load of high-end parts in it and submerged it in the oil as well. They ran graphic test on it to see how it would perform in the mineral oil under extreme loads. They were surprised to see that when they over clocked their CPU and put it under a heavy workload, the mineral oil kept it pretty stable and cool. (Information about over clocking your CPU http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Computer_Science/2005/overclocking.asp) However when they over clocked it even more they had to do modifications such as adding a small radiator and pump to circulate the oil and re-cool it to room temperature. They also added bubbles to the tank, in hopes that the bubbles would capture heat with in the air bubble and disperse the temp evenly through out the tank.
The reason the electrical components would not short circuit in the oil, is because mineral oil is not conductive. Did you know, you could even put electrical parts in purified water and they will not short circuit for a wile? (Key words “for a wile”) eventually the water would become ionized from the metals on the electronics and thus short-circuit your electrical components. (I’m not saying you should try it by no means.) If you are interested and want to take a further look in to it, there is a bundle of more information about there project on there website.

http://www.pugetsystems.com/

The video below is the video i came accross so check it out!

I give pugetsystems.com the following ratings
8 out of 10 for ingenuity
5 out of 10 for originality (It has been done before but not on a professional level like this)
8 out of 10 for good content on there site
9 out of 10 for the wow!! factor.

This has been a Pc Knowledge For Me Bloggers review-Pc User 101-

3 comments:

  1. Hello PC user,
    Thanks for visitng my blog. I have read your posts and find them interesting. I applaud anyone who is able to figure this stuff out. I am not completely computer stupid but I am not a pro either. I look foward to reading your blog for any tips you might have. If you can help me figure out how everyone widens their blog template sidebars, I would appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's really interesting. I'd never try it though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really don't want to change my template but if you want to check into the html stuff that would be good. Thanks

    ReplyDelete